Graduate Admission FAQ

You’re sure to have questions as you go through the process of applying for admission to the Carroll School. Here are answers to some of the questions we hear most often. For more information, please email the Office of Graduate Admissions or call us at 617-552-3920.  

Admission FAQ



Do I need to submit my official transcript(s) with my application?
At the time you submit your application, only a self-reported transcript is required. You may upload an image of your unofficial transcript to your application. Once you are admitted, you must submit official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Please note that Boston College reserves the right to withdraw any offer of admission already made if there is any discrepancy between the self-reported transcript and the official transcript.

Can I receive credit for previous course work?
While course waiver policies vary according to program, there are generally two options for students to receive course credit for courses taken at the undergraduate or graduate level. Students can receive equivalency credit for up to two courses and thus be allowed to waive core courses, but the credits must be fulfilled with electives. Advanced standing allows you to waive up to 15 credits (five courses), which will reduce the overall credit requirement for your degree. You must have received a grade of B or better in the course from which you chose to transfer credits. Students can only receive advanced standing credit for core courses. All students interested in receiving equivalency credit or advanced standing credit must complete a course waiver form to be evaluated by the Associate Dean of Graduate Programs.

Do I need to submit an official copy of my GMAT or GRE scores with my application?
Only self-reported test scores are required when submitting the application. Upon admission, you must submit official test scores to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Please note that Boston College reserves the right to withdraw any offer of admission already made if there is any discrepancy between the self-reported and official score report.

What are the minimum GMAT/GRE scores and minimum GPA required for acceptance into the program?
There are no minimum requirements. However, we recommend that you review our class profiles to see how your scores and grades compare to those of our current students.
MBA    Part-Time MBA    MSA     MSF

Do I need to take the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE?
If you are an international applicant and English is not your first language, you must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE). The minimum required score on the TOEFL is 100 on the Internet-based test. The minimum required score on the IELTS is a 7.5 band score. The minimum required score on the PTE is a 68.

This requirement is waived for applicants who have completed the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree or a two-year master’s degree at an English-medium university. Applicants must have completed their entire degree at the English-medium university in order to be eligible for the waiver. The medium language of instruction must be indicated on your transcript or verified in a letter on official letterhead from the institution. Applicants who have two or more years of full-time work experience in the United States and are currently employed in the country are also waived.

Can I waive the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE if I transferred from an international university to a university in the U.S.?
In order to be eligible for the waiver, the entirety of your degree must be conducted with English as the medium language of instruction. If the international university from which you transferred was a university where the medium language of instruction was English, then you are able to waive the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE exam. If admitted to the program, the medium language of instruction must be indicated on your official transcript or verified in a letter on official letterhead from the institution. If the international university from which you transferred was not an English medium institution, then you cannot waive the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE exam.

Do you accept the MyBest score from TOEFL?
At this time, we do not accept the MyBest score.  

Can I take classes before applying?
Students are not able to take courses at the Carroll School of Management without gaining admission to one of our degree-granting programs. However, the Woods College of Advancing Studies at Boston College opens a few courses each semester to non-degree seeking students.

May I visit a class?
Yes. We encourage you to learn more about our programs by touring our facility, sitting in on a class and speaking with current students. Boston College has a beautiful campus just outside the city of Boston. Class visits may be arranged by registering online or by calling the Office of Graduate Management Admissions directly at 617-552-3920.

What is the procedure to reapply to a graduate program?
Candidates who wish to reapply for admission in a subsequent year must submit a new application via the online system. We will waive the application fee, so please contact the Admissions Office before submitting your application. You would not be required to resubmit GMAT or GRE test scores.   

International Students

Are international students able to apply to the Part-Time graduate programs?
Boston College does not sponsor the F-1 student visa for our part-time students. International students who wish to pursue their graduate degree on a part-time basis must be sponsored otherwise. If you require a student visa, then you are only eligible to apply to the Full-Time programs.  

Do I have to apply for a visa before I apply for admission to the Carroll School?
No, you don’t need to submit visa-related materials at the time of application. Boston College’s Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) will work closely with each incoming student to ensure that materials are prepared in a timely fashion to complete the visa application and I-20 appointment.

Is financial aid available for international students?
International students are not eligible for federal student financial aid. However, you may be able to qualify for an alternative loan. For more information, contact the Office of Student Services.

Do I need to submit financial documents with my application?
No. Financial documents are only required for admitted students. You will need to submit your original financial documents after you’ve received the Declaration and Certification of Finances (DCF) form.

I received a 3 year degree from my international university. Can I apply to your school?
We require that applicants to our graduate programs have the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree. We recommend that international students confirm their educational equivalency with a credential evaluation organization such as SpanTran (SpanTran Application for Boston College) or World Education Services if they are unsure of their transcript’s equivalency. You may upload the report to your online application to demonstrate your educational equivalency to the Admissions Committee. If admitted, international students are required to submit an official English translation of all academic credentials, along with a third party degree verification.

Do you offer any kind of conditional acceptance?
We do not offer any kind of conditional acceptance to Boston College. All applicants must apply to the appropriate deadline and meet all of our application requirements to be considered for admission. For more information, please visit our Admission page.

Tuition and Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?
To apply for an assistantship or scholarship, simply indicate your interest on the application for admission. If you’re applying for a loan, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please contact the Boston College Office of Student Services at 617-552-3300 for additional information about federal financial aid, as well as alternative loan sources. Please note that federal student aid is available for United States citizens only. International students may contact the Office of Student Services for information regarding alternative loan sources.

How do I apply for scholarships?
All applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships; you do not need to separately apply for scholarships. Irish citizens looking to apply for the O’Brien Fellowship, can learn more by visiting the O’Brien Fellowship page.

When will I find out if I have received an assistantship or a scholarship?
Scholarship and assistantship offers are made at the time of admission. If you are admitted, you will receive a letter regarding the Admission Committee’s scholarship decision with your admission materials. 

Are Part-Time MBA students eligible for tuition assistance from Boston College?
Our practice is to evaluate every admitted MBA candidate for advanced standing credit—a potential savings of time and tuition expense. Eligible candidates may qualify for a waiver of up to five MBA courses (for a maximum of 15 credits), based upon prior coursework and/or professional certification (eg. CPA, CFA). This translates to potential tuition savings of up to $27,225 (based on 2019-2020 tuition rates). Please review our Course Waiver Policy for detailed information on Advanced Standing credit.

Part-time MBA students may also apply for federally-funded financial aid. Admitted students should download the FAFSA form from the Graduate Student Financial Services website. Admitted students are encouraged to contact their designated Boston College Graduate Student Financial Aid Associate via email. For general questions, please call or email the Office of Student Services.

What are the estimated tuition and expenses for the graduate programs?
For full-time MBA Students the tuition rate for the Academic Year 2019-2020 is $26,625 per semester. Tuition for the 2019–2020 academic year is $1,814 per credit hour for part-time MBA, MSF, and MSA students. Books, supplies, and fees are estimated at $1,500. Full-time students may be eligible for a scholarship, a graduate assistantship, or a federal loan. See Tuition and Fees for additional information about tuition and financial aid.

Admitted Students

I’ve been admitted to a graduate program. How do I accept my offer of admission?
In your acceptance letter, you should have received a link to an enrollment form with a reply deadline date. Please submit the form to confirm your decision to enroll in the Boston College Carroll School of Management. You will also need to submit a non-refundable tuition deposit once you receive your BC login credentials. The tuition deposit amount will be noted in your acceptance letter.

When and how do I register for classes?  
Once you have been admitted, we will send you access to a website for admitted students that explains the registration process and everything else you need to know about enrolling at Boston College.

When does the fall semester begin?
Orientation for the full-time MBA program is typically held in mid to late August with classes beginning the following week. Part-time MBA, MSF, and MSA orientations are held in late August. Classes typically begin in late August.

FAQ by Program