Tuition & Aid

The Graduate School of the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences offers competitive graduate stipends in an attempt to compete for the best and brightest students, reflecting its commitment to and achievement in research and graduate education.

Types of financial aid available to students include:

Department Academic Aid

Academic Awards

Academic awards are available through the Graduate School to ensure that outstanding, academically qualified students have financial support while they work toward their degrees. Stipends and scholarships are offered in the form of:

  • Graduate Assistantships
  • Research Assistantships
  • Teaching Assistantships
  • Teaching Fellowships
  • University Fellowships
  • Tuition Scholarships

Awards vary by discipline in both nature and size and awards are generally made at the time of admission. A complete admission application serves as your Department Financial Aid application; there is no separate application for Department Aid. The scholastic requirements for obtaining these stipend awards are necessarily more exacting than those for simply securing admission to the Graduate School.

These awards are usually renewable given satisfactory performance. The amounts of the awards and the number of years for which they are renewable may vary by department. Graduate students may not receive University financial aid (stipends and/or tuition scholarships) from two schools or departments simultaneously. Graduate students who hold fellowships or assistantships may not be employed full-time without the dean's approval. Recipients will receive official notification from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Newly Awarded Students

A new aid recipient must fill out New Hire Paperwork in order to receive a service stipend. Please bring the completed paperwork to the Human Resources Service Center in 129 Lake Street, Brighton Campus. The paperwork must be presented in person with proper identification. Students should also bring a voided check in order to enroll in the University's direct deposit system. Service stipends for the academic year are made in eight installments. Service checks are directly deposited on the 16th of each month, September through December and February through May. There is no direct deposit in January.

In order to claim a non-service stipend, a recipient must be registered. For the academic year, non-service stipends are typically paid in two installments, September 15th and January 12th. Non-service checks must be picked up at Accounts Payable, 129 Lake Street, Brighton Campus.

Relinquishing an Award

An aid recipient who relinquishes an award must report this matter, in writing, to the department chairperson and to the associate dean. These awards may be discontinued by the department or the Graduate School at any time during an academic year if, either the academic performance or the in-service assistance is of an unsatisfactory character. You may request the guidelines for satisfactory service and performance from your academic department. Awards may also be discontinued for conduct injurious to the reputation of the University, as determined by appropriate University representatives.

Research Grants

Research grants obtained under University auspices by members of the faculty represent another source of financial assistance for graduate students. The availability of such grant funds change from year-to-year and vary markedly among the academic disciplines, with the natural sciences being by far the largest beneficiary. Students are routinely considered by the principal investigator for financial assistance those funds afford.

Federal Financial Aid

The Office of Student Services is responsible for administering and awarding the following need-based federal financial aid programs. Please review their comprehensive website for information and deadlines.

Submit the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor. Boston College School Code 002128. FAFSAs are available on request from Office of Student Services or

Submit the Boston College Graduate Financial Aid Application to the Office of Student Services.

If requested by Student Services, submit a signed copy of your (and your spouse’s, if married and filed separately) most recent Federal Income Tax return.

Upon receipt of these documents and the Graduate School’s notification of the applicant’s acceptance, Student Services will review the application and notify the student regarding eligibility.

For information on financial aid terms and conditions, disbursement, loan repayment, continued eligibility for aid programs, and rights and responsibilities, contact:

Boston College
Office of Student Services
Lyons Hall
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

Alternative Loan Options

Students may choose to finance the balance of their cost of education (budget minus financial aid) through alternative loans. You must have good credit to be approved for these loans, which are available through various lenders.